Need some help goal setting for this month? Sure thing!
Setting goals can be quite over whelming, especially if you are like me and just want everything right now! However, I had some time on my own last night to sit and think about what I want out of this month. The time will pass by whether I like it or not…I don’t want it to get to the end of the month and not have anything to show for my many hours of training and eating right. So… I wrote some short-term, medium and long term goals that will take me through to the end of the year. It did take some time, but it really put a focus on what I am doing and why I am doing it.
I used the SMARTER goals structure as outlined below. Hope it helps you to get motivated and smash your goals this month!
S – Specific
What is it that you want?
What is your goal?
What are you going to do to achieve those wants & goals?
How will you know when you have achieved your goal/s?
M – Measurable
Can you goal be measured? On the scales? By using a measuring tape? Photos? Body fat percentage? Fitness test? Time taken to run a certain distance? etc
Ensure that you can record your goals, that they are physical and measurable!
A – Achievable/Agreed
Is your goal achievable?
Have you reached this goal before? What prohibited you in the past?
R – Realistic
Is your goal realistic? Genetically? physically? within the time limit? injuries? etc
T – Time bound
Are you setting a time limit or time restrictions?
Is it realistic and achievable?
What is your motivation for this time limit? A wedding? Birthday? Holiday? Etc
Will you continue with this goal, should you need more time?
E – Enjoyable
Do you enjoy the process that it will take to reach your goals? Nutrition? Training? Sleeping Patterns? etc
Is this a routine that will continue after you have reached your goal?
R – Resourceful
What do you need to achieve these goals?
What can you do should you feel like you are losing focus?
What/ Who is in your area that can provide additional help or advice?
When setting goals it is important to consider the entire range and process required to reach your ultimate goal.
• Specific short goals that are achievable and realistic to achieve within 4–12 weeks.
• Discuss and have a plan to reach medium goals, that will require between 8 and 24 weeks
• Write down and verbalise your long-term (13–52 weeks) goals. What will the final product be at the end of the year, should you stick to your plans?
• Physical activity goals- to run a certain distance? Beat your PB time? Lift a certain weight? Train every day?
• Lifestyle Goals- To be more positive? To eat clean? To avoid fast foods?
• Adherence goals – agree on the responsibilities towards the exercise programme. What are you going to do personally? What is your coach or training partner or PT’s role?
We can do this… I just know it!