10 WEEK GOAL: Train Insane & Eat to Grow. Increase Muscle Mass whilst maintaining a relatively low body fat percentage. Date: 19th June 2016 | Day: 28 of 70 | Current Weight: 53.2kgs
So on Wednesday, I was ready to give up on this new plan to gain muscle. I even told Zac (the guy I have been training with) that if it wasn’t for my blog and having so much support from my friends and followers, I would have given in for sure. I love my morning meals (breakfast, morning tea and lunch) but as soon as it was time for my pre-workout meal, I still wasn’t hungry after my lunch and the last thing I wanted to do after eating SO much chicken and rice was to go and lift weights.
In saying that, my workouts this week have been awesome- but I’ll talk more about that in the training part of this update.
So I emailed my coach and told him that I had lost all definition on my stomach and that I have been noticing a “muffin top” starting to hang around on my hips and just made note that I am not as energetic as I used to be. Read about his response in “This Weeks Eating” below!
THIS WEEKS EATING:
– I feel more focused after speaking with Nathan on Tuesday/Wednesday. The simple way to explain what’s happening currently with my body is that my metabolism has ‘slowed’ down – so much so that any increase of calories is leading to gained weight. As we are still unsure as to whether it is muscle or fat or a combo, it is important that I listen to my body and continue to take photos to see the progress and reassure myself that it is muscle and not fat (around ym stomach or hips as I had previously suggested) So, what now?
I will continue with Phase 2 and eating bulk foods until my body and metabolism normalises and becomes stable once again. The fact that I am eating almost double what I used to, explains why my metabolism needs to catch up and until then I need to keep at it so to let food work for me in the way I want it to, rather than be the enemy.
– Once again, I didn’t use my “free choice” meal per say. Seeing as my carb intake is so high on training days I am able to indulge in some clean treats like my homemade pizza and as my fats are so high on non-training days I am able to eat the foods that I don’t usually get during the week like avocado, chicken mince and salmon steaks etc.
– Had a seriously rough start to the week. Mon and Tues I felt like I didn’t want to eat my final two meals of the day. Once I got my weight session in each day, I felt better and more inspired to continue. This really is more of a mental challenge for me than physical to be honest!
THIS WEEKS TRAINING:
– My workouts have been awesome this week! I am beginning to feel stronger and am so totally focused in the gym. I have been completing steady state cardio in the morning each day and my weights training in the afternoons. This has been working well for me and I am enjoying being able to use the 30mins of LISS cardio to speak with Scott on the phone or listen to my favourite podcasts.
– I’m excited to add either 3 HIIT (20min) or Low Intensity (30-45min), or a mixture of cardiovascular sessions next week to help negate the extra weight gain and ramp up my metabolism again.
– HIIT is one of my favourite ways to train!
– I didn’t get to have a PT session this week with Zac, but I was able to train “legs” with Brooke on Monday which was awesome! So nice to have her back in the gym with me.
– Still lacking some serious upper body strength (bis and tris mostly). I’m unsure if it’s because I train them on a Friday and my body is practically fatigued before I even start or if I’m just allowing that to be my excuse. Thinking of mixing up my days this week perhaps to see if that makes a difference!
– I am feeling more motivated than ever knowing that I have been completely honest with my coach in telling him how I am feeling and how my body is looking (in my opinion). The fact that he is still certain that I can do this- makes me feel even more confident that if I commit and do everything the right way- I am guaranteed results.