*serves 4-6 =350 calories per serve
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 litres stock
- 400g can diced tomatoes
- 400g can kidney beans, drained, rinsed
- 400g can corn, drained, rinsed
- 300g jar mild or hot salsa
- kale leaves
- OPTIONAL: coriander leaves, toasted tortillas, guacamole, to serve
- 500g chicken mince
- 2 green onions, finely chopped
- ½ cup dried breadcrumbs
- ¼ cup chopped coriander, plus extra, to serve
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Heat oil in a large, heavy-based saucepan on medium.
- Saute onion, garlic and oregano 3-4 minutes, until onion is tender.
- MEATBALLS: In a large bowl, mix all ingredients together. Season to taste. Roll into walnut-sized balls. Arrange on a tray and chill until required.
- Add stock, tomatoes, beans, corn and salsa to pan. Bring to boil. Season to taste. Reduce heat to low.
- Drop meatballs into simmering soup. Simmer gently 15-20 minutes, until meatballs are cooked through.
- Serve topped with extra coriander and accompany with tortillas and guacamole.
- TOP TIP
For an easy, homemade guacamole, mash 1 avocado with 2 tablespoons of lemon or lime juice and season to taste.
ORIGINAL RECIPE COURTESY OF: http://food.ninemsn.com.au/recipes/imince/8350016/tex-mex-meatball-soup